We are currently seeking applicants for a Gorge Sailing Team (GST) High School Coach:
In this position of Coach, you will coach the spring high school sailing team. Practices are held at the Hood River Marina, in conjunction with the Hood River Yacht Club. The team typically practices Mondays, Wednesdays, and Sundays in 420’s and FJ’s. Hours are approximately 3:30-6:30. The coach will be assisted by a volunteer coach or parent.
There is an additional opportunity to extend coaching hours by working with GORGE Junior Sailing (GJS). They are seeking a part-time director as well as a coach for their STEM/REACH program. The ideal candidate would take on both positions, but both entities would consider someone for one or the other.
GORGE Junior Sailing, located on the Columbia River in Hood River, Oregon was founded in 2005 and soon after the GORGE Sailing Team (high school/youth racing) followed. Both the GST & GJS are nonprofit 501c3 seasonal spring and summer programs. Over 20 teens participate on the HS sailing team each spring. Also during the spring season, US Sailing REACH classes are hosted for local middle school students. Approximately 150 children enroll in the GJS summer program in Beginning to Advanced sailing classes in Optis, O’Pen Bics, RS Fevas & C420s. GJS is also a PNW Seibel program host, coordinating programming with the US Sailing Seibel coach.
All of our instructors maintain the following:
- US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor Certification.
- 4-day, 40-hour course. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, lesson planning, creative activities, ethical concerns, and sports physiology and psychology.
- Boater Education Card.
- Oregon State Marine Board & NASBLA approved boater safety & education course.
- Current U.S. First Aid and Adult/Child CPR certificates.
- Yearly CDC HEADS UP Concussion in Youth Sports course.
- SafeSport Training.
- Educational and awareness program focused on safe, respectful sporting environments, free of abuse and harassment. Developed by the US Olympic Committee, SafeSport is now required training for all US Sailing Level 1 certified instructors.
- Current US Sailing membership.
- As the National Governing Body for the sport of sailing, US Sailing’s mission is to provide leadership for the sport of sailing in the United States.
Please contact email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.